In this post I will finish the story started a week ago about Project Initiation phase. We have determined high level objectives and scope of the project, put down boundaries and constraints and check whether our activity is a project or just a work request.
Now we have to prepare for detailed planning phase.
Team Roles for Planning
First of all you have to perform some planning activities for Detailed Planning phase of the project. And two next sections are about it.
Initial step is to determine the responsibilities of team members for planning phase. The points can be the following:
- Project Lead from business (name) – organize work of working team on business side. Main contact for IT side.
- IT project manager (name) – project planning, preparation and approve of all needed project documentation, project weekly track, organize regularly project meetings.
- IT analytics (names) – develop and provide sign off functional and technical designs for the project.
- Project working team on business side – consultations, approvals of some project documents.
Detailed Resource Utilization for Planning
This is the continuation of the previous section. But here I put down some timeframes and % utilization for project team members.
- IT project manager (name) – Dec 2012 – Feb 2013, 20% utilization.
- IT analytic 1 (name) – Dec 2012 – Feb 2013, 50% utilization.
- IT analytic 2 (name) – Dec 2012 – Feb 2013, 25% utilization.
Signoffs Required before Detailed Planning Tollgate
In this section I determine what documents and by whom must be signoff before detailed planning phase tollgate. E.g.:
- Project plan signoff: IT Director, Project Lead from business.
- Functional designs signoff: Project Lead from business, Names from working team on business side.
- Technical designs signoff: IT project manager.
Detailed Planning Phase Tollgate Participants
Here I set some dates and attendees for Detailed Planning Phase tollgate. It can look like:
- Approximate date of meeting
- Mandatory attendees.
- Optional attendees.
- Who signs off on the gate
Just very high-level plan of what activities we are planning to do during the project planning phase:
- Develop functional designs for SYSTEM1 and SYSTEM2.
- Develop technical designs for SYSTEM1 and SYSTEM2.
- Risk Management.
- Develop Project Management Plan.
- Determine project team for Execution and Control phase.
This is all about Project Initiation Phase. Of course two posts were high level, but I try to make them more specific filling it with real-life examples. The next series of posts will be about Project Planning phase.